Sunday 12 February 2012

The Slog

5000m goal : 15:50
5000m PB : 16:29.9
5k SB (post-Sept 2011) : 16:55 (xc split)

Runners don’t like snow.  Fact.  Its just a guessing game of which sessions will be ruined, while the freezing cold means my wash bag fills up twice a week, and limited drying facilities play havoc with making sure than my training kit is appropriately colour coordinated. 

I had hoped to get in another cross county, but my new found fear for frozen courses meant I opted for the poultry approach, and engaged in a beastly tempo in Sennellys Park instead, which as luck would have it, was covered in snow, providing a whooping workout for the legs.

Since I’m no longer scribbling it on the fridge door, I thought I’d treat you to a portion of my training, as this is a fairly typical week.  The focus is still on endurance, threshold, vo2 max and being social.  Big miles and big sessions means a lot of hours in the cold winter air though, though my boxes of Sainsburys brownies and shortbread really help with the motivation.

Mon 6th Feb:         AM: 40min swim
                                PM: 45min easy pace [needed the loo]
Tues 7th Feb:         AM: 30min easy pace [icey]
                                PM: Drills + 8x1000m (2min), avg 3:11. [Some dire pacing by Canaway on the 4th]
Wed 8th Feb:         AM: 30min easy pace
                                PM: 45min easy pace + 2x6x30 simple circuits [ate cream crackers between sets]
Thu 9th Feb:           AM: 30min easy pace
                                PM: Drills + ½ mi tempo, 12x400, ½ mi tempo. [icey so slow]
Fri 10th Feb:          REST

Sat 11th Feb:         AM: 6mi xc tempo [snowy]
                                PM: 4 sets of 12 circuits and jumps at track (jog between) + 4 games of fifa.
Sun 12th Feb:        AM: 1h45mins long run [only did 1h43 as I’m a rogue]

Total: 78.2 miles / 11 hours / 2000 words of essays / 2 pub trips.

Frustratingly, there’s runners out there who are more naturally talented, who’ll run faster than me off much less training, and our place in the natural order of things was well documented by training buddy Ed a while back.  For me, like many others, it’s all about remaining biomechanically optimistic and trying to slog it out through the winter cold to hit those personal goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment